Lakeland Community College requires placement testing in English and Mathematics. The exam used is called COMPASS. It is an adaptive computer-based test which imposes no time constraints. Three exams are administered – reading, writing and mathematics. Typically, all three exams can be completed within 2 hours.
Students may be exempt from placement testing if they:
- Present satisfactory ACT or SAT scores in Math & English
- Earned a degree from another accredited college or university
- Are a senior citizen taking classes on an AUDIT basis
- Register for classes as a transient student from another college or university
- Register for courses on an audit basis
- Transfer to Lakeland from another accredited college or university with at least 15 semester credits
Video: Overview of the COMPASS Test
Students are encouraged to TAKE THE TEST EARLY TO AVOID INTERRUPTION IN THEIR ACADEMIC ENDEAVORS AT LAKELAND. A hold will be placed on student accounts that will require completion of the placement exam PRIOR to registration. In order to avoid the rush, students should plan to take the exam as soon as possible. A credit application must be on file in order to register for and to take the test
Testing sessions are BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Space is limited. Lakeland Students must reserve a seat in a scheduled session via myLakeland.
Schedule a Session:
Log in to myLakeland to review available session days & times and reserve a seat by clicking on the "Reserve" button.
Video: Registering for a Compass Sessions
Call the Testing Center office with questions regarding scheduling the placement exam.
Free COMPASS Test prep workshop!
Prepare to do your very best - this workshop explains what the COMPASS Test is, the importance of the test as it relates to getting a great start to your college experience, and provides information as to how to prepare before taking the COMPASS Test.
To register, simply log in to myLakeland
- Click on the "Student" tab
- Click on "Schedule It"
- Click on College Success Workshops and select COMPASS Prep Workshop from the drop down menu
ACT Compass offers test modules in the subject areas most frequently used by postsecondary institutions to evaluate the skill levels of their incoming students.
- A photo ID is REQUIRED to gain entrance to the test.
- Testing begins PROMPTLY at the start time. Late arrivals will NOT be admitted to the test session and will be REQUIRED to reschedule.
For more information about Compass testing contact one of the following offices: