Potential RNFA participants need to apply to the college for a student ID number. The registrar's office will be notified of your verified credentials and you will not be blocked from registering for the course.
***You do not need to apply to the formal nursing program, send transcripts or take pre-entrance exams.***
When formally registered you will receive the official credentialing documents via email. These will be PDF documents you can print, fill out, and return by postal mail to the office of Perioperative Education.
You will need to include the following documents:
- Completed checklist from the packet
- Copy of nursing license
- Photo ID (Photocopy of work ID or other valid photo ID accepted)
- Proof of liability insurance
- Two letters of reference
- One CV (resume) from the mentoring surgeon
Please include the name of the facility (or facilities) where you plan to do your independent internship. Lakeland does not establish affiliation agreements with your facility.
To facilitate registration, send an email with your name, mailing address, telephone number and student ID to the department chair.
NOTE: Due to student privacy laws, you are required to register yourself. The hospital or secretary should not do this for you.
For more information about the RNFA course, please contact us.
Registered Nurse First Assistant Course Eligibility Requirements
- Licensed Registered Nurse in the State or Province of Practice
- 24 months as a Perioperative Nurse: CNOR or CNOR eligible (and planning to take the exam before the completion of the internship part of the program).
- Advanced Practice Nurse with Advanced Certification (CNOR is waived for Advanced Certification)
- Must be able to do an Independent Internship at your own facility. Lakeland does not establish Affiliation Agreements with remote facilities.
- Participants are required to carry Professional Liability Insurance. Can get insured at www.nso.com. Employer coverage is not enough since an intern is categorized as a student, not an employee during the internship. This is a Lakeland credentialing requirement.
Our RNFA course has been accepted by the Competency and Credentialing Institute (CCI).
Nurses come from all over the USA and Canada to attend our program. We are affordable and very traveler friendly. CCI now recognizes Canadian Perioperative Certification.