Financial Aid TV

Lakeland Cares Cupboard

Immediate Need Grant

CARES Act Emergency Grant Application


Lakeland offers many types of financial aid assistance, including federal and state grants, federal work-study employment, federal student loans (Direct Loans) and scholarships. Most students receive a combination of these, which is known as a financial aid offer.

For consideration for all types of financial aid at Lakeland, you must first complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Completing and submitting the FAFSA is free and quick, and it gives you access to the largest sources of financial aid to pay for college through federal, state and school sources.

Federal Programs
Federal Grants

A federal grant is financial aid that does not require repayment and is often need-based. Two of the most common federal grants include the Pell Grant and Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant.

Pell Grant (PELL)
  • For undergraduates with exceptional financial need.
  • Eligibility is based upon need (Expected Family Contribution), enrollment status and cost of attendance.
  • Does not require repayment, except under certain circumstances.
  • For undergraduates who have not earned bachelor's or professional degrees.
  • A student can receive a Pell Grant for no more than six full-time years or 12 full-time semesters (maximum percentage of 600 percent).
  • Offer amounts can change annually.
  • Once you are offered a Pell Grant, you can view the "Pell Chart" located under "Year Specific Forms/Worksheets" on the Financial Aid Forms page or visit the Lakeland Student Service Center to determine the specific amount you can receive, based on your specific enrollment status and Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
  • Visit for more information.
Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • For undergraduates with exceptional financial need.
  • Does not require repayment, except under certain circumstances.
  • A student must be enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credit hours).
  • Offer amount depends on your financial need, when you apply, the amount of other aid you are offered and the availability of alloted funds.
  • Visit for more information.

For more information on grants, watch the video playlist below.

» top

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

Federal Work-Study is a financial need-based program that provides opportunities for students to be employed at Lakeland to earn money for educational expenses.

  • An offer of FWS does not guarantee earnings; students are paid with a paycheck for hours actually worked.
  • Students must submit a Federal Work-Study Request Form which is located under "Year Specific Forms/Worksheets" on the Financial Aid Forms page, to the Lakeland Student Service Center.
  • Students should visit the Lakeland Human Resources portal to determine what student employment jobs are available on campus.
  • Visit for more information.

» top

Federal Direct Loan Programs

A Direct Loan is a federal loan, made through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program, for which eligible students and parents borrow directly from the U.S. Department of Education at participating schools. Direct Subsidized Loan, Direct Unsubsidized Loan and Direct PLUS Loans are types of Direct Loans.

  • A Direct Loan offers freshman students up to $5,500 and sophomores up to $6,500 per year.
  • This is a loan and must be repaid.
  • Interest rates vary annually.
  • If you already have a Direct Loan, borrowing a new loan will not affect the rate or terms of your previous loan(s).
  • You may qualify for a Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Direct Loan up to the amounts listed above.
  • Repayment is deferred while you are enrolled in college at least half-time (6 or more credit hours) as well as for a six-month grace period after your enrollment has ended.
  • If you are borrowing student loans for the first time, you will need to complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN). These can be completed online. Loan funds will not be disbursed until these two requirements are met.
  • Exit Counseling is required if you withdraw, graduate, transfer to another college or drop below half-time attendance anytime during your enrollment period. Exit counseling is completed online at
  • For additional information, review the Direct Loan Brochure (PDF).
Direct Subsidized Loans (DLSS)
  • For undergraduates who have financial need, so some students may not qualify.
  • A student must be enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credit hours).
  • No interest accumulates while you are enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credit hours) or during your grace period.
  • Students can be offered, per year, up to:
    • Freshman: $3,500
    • Sophomore: $4,500
  • Visit for more information.
Direct Unsubsidized Loans (DLUS)
  • Not based on financial need.
  • A student must be enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credit hours).
  • Interest begins accruing when the loan is disbursed.
    • You may elect to pay the interest while in school and during your grace period to avoid capitalization.
    • If interest is not paid during these periods, it will be capitalized when you enter repayment, which means it will be added to your principal balance.
  • Offer amount varies based on dependency status, cost of attendance and other aid you have been offered.
  • Visit for more information.
Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
  • For parents of dependent undergraduate students.
  • Not based on financial need.
  • A student must be enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credit hours).
  • The borrower must not have an adverse credit history as this loan is subject to credit approval.
  • Parent can borrow up to the cost of college education, less other aid the student received.
  • Variable rate of interest (currently not to exceed 9 percent).
  • Repayment begins 60 days after final disbursement of funds.
  • It is recommended you utilize all eligibility for grants and Direct Loans before receiving a Direct PLUS Loan.
  • Parent must apply for the loan through and complete a PLUS Loan Authorization Form (PDF) through Lakeland's website or at the Student Service Center on campus in Room A-1003.
  • Visit for more information.

For more information on federal loans, watch the video playlist below.

» top

State Programs
Ohio War Orphan & Severely Disabled Veterans' Children Scholarship
  • Ohio War Orphan & Severely Disabled Veterans' Children Scholarship awards tuition assistance to the children of deceased or severely disabled Ohio veterans who served in the armed forces during a period of declared war or conflict.
  • Scholarship benefits cover a portion of instructional and general fee charges at two and four-year public institutions.
  • To receive War Orphans Scholarship benefits, a student must be an Ohio resident and enrolled for full-time undergraduate study and pursuing an associate or bachelor's degree at an eligible Ohio college or university. Applicants must apply between the ages of 16 and 25.
  • Students apply at
Nurse Education Assistance Loan Program (NEALP)

The Nurse Education Assistance Loan Program (NEALP) provides financial assistance to Ohio students enrolled for at least half-time study (or accepted for enrollment) in an approved Ohio nurse education program.  

  • NEALP provides funding for students who intend to serve as nurses after graduation. 
  • Annual award for the 2019-2020 academic year is $1,620/year and is based on the student's EFC calculated from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  
  • Recipient must serve as a full-time nurse in Ohio for five years to qualify for 100 percent loan cancellation.
  • Students can apply at
Ohio College Opportunity Grant (OCOG)
  • Generally, OCOG is not available to community college students, however, if you attend Lakeland year-round (summer, fall and spring semesters), you may be eligible for OCOG disbursement in the spring semester if you are Pell-eligible and your tuition and fees are not fully covered by federal grants.
  • Eligibility is determined based on the results from the FAFSA and your enrollment for the aid year.
  • Exception: If you are a military veteran receiving Chapter 30 and Chapter 33 benefits, you may be eligible for OCOG each semester as long as you meet eligibility requirements based on your EFC calculated from the FAFSA and household income.
  • For more information, visit

*This is not a comprehensive list of all state programs. Visit for additional programs and information.

» top


Scholarships are financial aid funds that are gifts and do not need to be repaid. Scholarships are provided to students by the college, the Lakeland Foundation or outside contributors based on criteria determined by the donor. Some scholarships are based on academic achievement, a special talent, trait or interest and others are based on financial need.

Lakeland Foundation Scholarships

The Lakeland Foundation Scholarship application and listing of all available scholarships can be found on myLakeland.

To apply for the Lakeland Foundation Scholarships:

  1. Log in to myLakeland.
  2. Click the Student tab.
  3. In the left-hand column under myRECORDS, click on Scholarship Center.
  4. Click on Scholarship Application to access the online scholarship form.
  5. Complete the questions presented on the form then click Submit Application.
  6. Applications will be reviewed prior to the start of the academic year.
  7. You will be notified via your Lakeland email if you have been offered a scholarship.
  8. If you have been offered a scholarship, you will need to accept the funds by clicking on the Accept Award Offer tab under My Award information.
  9. For additional information, review the Scholarship Center Application Process Brochure (PDF).

Outside Scholarships

Lakeland encourages students to pursue outside scholarships as a way to help pay for college expenses. A list of some outside scholarships can be found here, including requirements and contact information.

For those Lakeland students pursuing a health field, the Medical Mutual Scholarship [PDF] (Lakeland health students only) is also available.

In addition, these free scholarship search sites below offer information about other outside scholarship opportunities:

» top

Military Benefits

Lakeland is privileged to honor the service and sacrifice of our veterans and we are fully accredited under the laws that provide educational benefits for veterans. Lakeland's Veterans Benefits Certifying Specialist will assist with applying for VA educational benefits. The certifying specialist will certify enrollment and assist new and continuing student veterans with the processing of VA forms for educational benefits. For assistance, contact the Veterans Benefits Certifying Specialist by phone at 440.525.7246 or in person in Room E-118.

» top

Staging Enabled